This years Summer Reading Challnege runs from Saturday 13th July to Saturday 7th September 2019
You will be asked to explain to children, young people and their families about the Summer Reading Challenge and how to take part; to register children and young people for the challenges; to encourage children and young people to talk about their reading and to give out rewards; to promote and help out at activities, including art workshops.
Click here to find out more about the Reading Agency and the annual Summer Reading Challenge.
Time Commitment: Half day or full day sessions during library opening hours on a weekly basis with a minimum commitment of 1 session per week to be agreed with the library supervisor and volunteer.
Breaks are provided and times will be assigned by your supervisor. (You can arrange breaks for additional needs i.e. prayer or taking medication). Volunteers are not usually supervised during their breaks. We advise you bring your own refreshments - but the basics are available i.e. tea, coffee, sugar etc.
Location: Any branch (not Bury Park Library). Places are subject to availability.
- Promote the challenge in the library
- Register children onto the challenge
- Explain what the challenge is to the children and/or their parents/guardians
- Help the children fill in their registration cards
- Give out certificates, medals, and prizes as applicable
- Talk to the children - encouraging them to discuss the books they read
- Assist in the running of challenge activities as applicable
- Keeping the library public spaces tidy - ensuring walkways are clear of obstructions
- Provide information on the Library Makers project
- Give any other appropriate assistance as maybe reasonably required
Training: You will need to be available to complete a training session before you can start volunteering.
Supervision: You will have a member of the library team supporting and guiding you day to day.
Why get involved?
Are you enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about your local library? Would you like to gain new skills, meet new people and contribute to your local community? Then this challenge is for you!
- Become part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Improve your communication and team working skills
- Enjoy new experiences and learning something new
- Support your local library
- Gain an understanding of how a library event/activity is run
This Challenge is Ideal for People Who...
- are aged 14 years or older
- who have an enthusiastic and friendly manner
- enjoy meeting and talking to new people from all walks of life
- are reasonably confident in themselves
- like operating as part of a team
- like helping and advising people
- are interested in visitor services and community work
- are good listeners
- are multi-lingual (not essential)
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign up as a Library Maker
Step 2: Click "Accept Challenge" below
Step 3: A member of the Library Maker Team will then be in touch to get you started! .
Please Note: You will not be starting your challenge until 14/07/18. We will ask you to complete a volunteer application form, and will invite you to a training session in the weeks leading up to the Summer Reading Challenge. If you are under 18 years of age you will need to have parent/guardian consent to get involved.
- Team Work
- Verbal Communication
- Diversity Sensitivity
- Written Communication
- Working with Young Adults
- Working with Children 6 - 12yrs
- Working with Children 0-5yrs
- Event Stewarding
- Customer Service
- Local Community
- Meet New People
- Admin & Support
- Literacy & Learning
- Working with Children
- Visitor Services
- Event & Activities