Library Helpers support Luton Culture’s front line library services by helping us keep our spaces neat, tidy and orderly. Open to Library Makers completing their volunteering section of the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
If you are looking for the general Library Helper challenge for those aged 18 years or older then please click here.
What Will I Be Doing?
DofE Library Helpers support the team in the following:
- Shelving and filing of books and other stock
- Keeping the library public spaces tidy - ensuring walkways are clear of obstructions
- Help the public use our self service facilities
- Give any other appropriate assistance as maybe reasonably required
A volunteer may be involved in one or more activities as agreed with their supervisor.
When Will I Be Volunteering?
Regularly, on a long term placement. One hour per week, over three, six or twelve months. Rota to be discussed upon application.
Where Will I Be Based?
All branches are open for applications (excluding Bury Park Library). However spaces are limited and preferred branches may not be available. This will be discussed in full during an interview.
Will There Be Any Training?
Yes, you will have an induction. You will also be briefed and trained on the role during the first few sessions you volunteer.
Why get involved?
This challenge is for young people who are completing their Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze, Silver or Gold).
Are you enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about your local library? Would you like to gain new skills, meet new people and contribute to your local community? Then this challenge is for you!
- Improve your communication and team working skills
- Enjoy new experiences and learning something new
- Support your local library
- Gain an understanding of how a library is run
This Challenge is Ideal for People Who...
- are completing their Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze, Silver or Gold)
- who have an enthusiastic and friendly manner
- enjoy meeting and talking to new people from all walks of life
- are reasonably confident in themselves
- like operating as part of a team
- like helping and advising people
- are interested in libraries, visitor services and community work
- are good listeners
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign up as a Library Maker
Step 2: Click "Accept Challenge" below
Step 3: A member of the Library Maker Team will then be in touch to get you started!
- You must be aged 14 - 17 years.
- We will ask you to complete a volunteer application form and a short informal interview.
- You will need your parent/guardian written consent to volunteer here with us at Luton Culture.
- Team Work
- Verbal Communication
- Diversity Sensitivity
- Young Adult Challenges (14 - 25yrs)
- Duke of Edinburgh Award (DofE)
- Build my confidence
- Gain new skills
- Meet New People
- Non Fiction