Library Helpers support Luton Culture’s front line library services by helping us keep our spaces neat, tidy and orderly. Also guiding our library visitors and users.
What Will I Be Doing?
- Shelving and filing of books and other stock
- Keeping the library public spaces tidy - ensuring walkways are clear of obstructions
- Help the public use our self service facilities
- Approaching the public to take surveys asking questions about our services
- Greet and guide the public – be proactive in approaching people who look in need of help/support
- Advise the public – suggest appropriate library services i.e. events, taster sessions and so on.
- Provide information on the Library Makers project
- Support staff in the delivery of family activities i.e. set up of activities
- Give any other appropriate assistance as maybe reasonably required
Working Environment: The role will...
- be based in a library - mainly in the public areas
- involve dealing with the public face to face
- require you to be on your feet for a few hours at a time
- require some physical effort - moving, lifting, reaching above head height, walking, standing, bending and kneeling on the floor, etc.
When Will I Be Volunteering?
Half day or full day sessions during library opening hours on a weekly basis with a minimum commitment of 1 session per week to be agreed with the library supervisor and volunteer. Personal rota to be discussed upon application.
Breaks are provided and times will be assigned by your supervisor. (You can arrange breaks for additional needs i.e. prayer or taking medication). Volunteers are not usually supervised during their breaks. We advise you bring your own refreshments - but the basics are available i.e. tea, coffee, sugar etc.
Where Will I Be Based?
All branches are open for applications (excluding Bury Park Library). However spaces are limited and preferred branches may not be available. This will be discussed in full during an interview.
Why get involved?
Are you enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about your local library? Would you like to gain new skills, meet new people and contribute to your local community? Then this challenge is for you!
- Become part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Improve your communication and team working skills
- Enjoy new experiences and learning something new
- Support your local library
- Gain an understanding of how a library event/activity is run
This Challenge is Ideal for People Who...
- are aged 18 years or older
- who have an enthusiastic and friendly manner
- enjoy meeting and talking to new people from all walks of life
- are reasonably confident in themselves
- like operating as part of a team
- like helping and advising people
- are interested in visitor services and community work
- are good listeners
- are multi-lingual (not essential)
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign up as a Library Maker
Step 2: Click "Accept Challenge" below
Step 3: A member of the Library Maker Team will then be in touch to get you started!
- You must be aged 18 years or older.
- We will ask you to complete a volunteer application form and an informal interview
- You will need to be able to provide references
- Working independently
- Customer Service
- Diversity Sensitivity
- Verbal Communication
- Team Work
- Working with People
- Visitor Services
- Literacy & Learning
- Non Fiction
- Meet New People
- Local Community
- Gain new skills
- Improve my wellbeing
- Build my confidence