The Home Library Services is free to Luton residents who are unable to visit a local library. Any resident of Luton who is not physically able to go to a library can be registered with the home library service. Books in ordinary print, large print or audiobooks are delivered once every four weeks directly to their homes. Music CDs and DVDs can also be included.
What Will I Be Doing?
Home Library volunteers support the team in the following:
- Provide a delivery service to the customer on a regular basis
- Regular visiting or ‘befriending’ of a particular customer
- Learn and understand the Home Library Service (HLS) collections of library stock
- Communicate with customers and all library staff
- Discuss with customers their subjects of interest(s)
- Report any comments, complaints or suggestions to the Wellbeing & Reminiscence Co-ordinator
A volunteer may be involved in one or more activities as agreed with the Wellbeing & Reminiscence Co-ordinator.
When Will I Be Volunteering?
Regularly, on a long term placement. Rota to be discussed upon application.
Where Will I Be Based?
Leagrave Library, Marsh Road, Luton, LU3 2NL.
You will also be travelling around Luton, with a member of staff driving, visiting customers' homes.
Will There Be Any Training?
Yes, you will have an induction. You will also be briefed and trained on the role during the first few sessions you volunteer.
Why get involved?
Are you enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about ensuring all our customers are able to access our resources, and the health and wellbeing that comes from having this service. Would you like to share your interests with others, meet new people and contribute to your local community? Then this challenge is for you!
- Improve your communication and social skills
- Enjoy new experiences
- Support your local community literacy, health and wellbeing
This Challenge is Ideal for People Who...
- are aged 18 years or older
- who have an enthusiastic and friendly manner
- enjoy meeting and talking to new people from all walks of life
- are reasonably confident in themselves
- like operating as part of a team
- like helping and advising people
- are interested in visitor services and community work
- are good listeners
- are physically fit, able to lift and carry boxes, climb stairs, and manoevre loaded trolleys
- are multi-lingual (not essential)
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign up as a Library Maker
Step 2: Click "Accept Challenge" below
Step 3: A member of the Library Maker Team will then be in touch to get you started!
- You must be aged 18 years or older.
- You will need to be available after the 1st October, but we will be in touch between now and then to get you ready.
- We will ask you to complete a volunteer application form.
- You will need to be able to provide references and we will need to complete a basic DBS check of all applicants.
- Working with People
- Team Work
- Verbal Communication
- Diversity Sensitivity
- Customer Service
- Build my confidence
- Gain new skills
- Local Community
- Meet New People
- Health & Wellbeing
- Literacy & Learning
- Working with Adults
- Visitor Services