Assist staff in welcoming parents/carers and children to the library for rhyme time, ensuring a positive enjoyable experience for all.
What Will I Be Doing?
Bookstart Rhyme Time Helpers support the team in the following:
- Provide a welcoming environment for babies, children and their parents/carers
- Assist with "buggy-parking" and managing the space/crowd control
- Taking the children's names for the register.
- Encourage families to join in with the rhymes and songs.
- Give/collect instruments/scarves and other props out to the families.
- Welcome and discreetly guide latecomers.
- Give out stickers and certificates.
A volunteer may be involved in one or more activities as agreed with the the staff member leading the sessions.
When Will I Be Volunteering?
Regularly, on a long term placement. Rota to be discussed upon application.
Where Will I Be Based?
At anyone of the following branches:
- Luton Central Library
- Leagrave Library
- Marsh Farm
Will There Be Any Training?
Yes, you will have an induction. You will also be briefed and trained on the role during the first few sessions you volunteer.
Why get involved?
Are you enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about engaging young children in reading? Do you believe in the power of families learning new skills together? Would you like to share your passion for literacy with others, meet new people and contribute to your local community? Then this challenge is for you!
- Improve your communication and social skills
- learn basic customer service skills through activity support
- Enjoy new experiences
- Support your local community literacy
This Challenge is Ideal for People Who...
- are aged 16 years or older
- who have an enthusiastic and friendly manner
- able to engage with young children and parents/carers alike
- enjoy meeting and talking to new people from all walks of life
- are reasonably confident in themselves
- like operating as part of a team
- like helping and encouraging people
- are interested in visitor services and community work
- are good listeners
- are multi-lingual (not essential)
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign up as a Library Maker
Step 2: Click "Accept Challenge" below
Step 3: A member of the Library Maker Team will then be in touch to get you started!
- You must be aged 16 years or older.
- We will ask you to complete a volunteer application form.
- If you are aged 18 years or older you will need to be able to provide references.
- If you are aged 16 - 17 years you will need your parent/guardian written consent to volunteer.
- Working with People
- Team Work
- Verbal Communication
- Diversity Sensitivity
- Written Communication
- Working with Children 0-5yrs
- Event Stewarding
- Event Management
- Customer Service
- Gain new skills
- Local Community
- Meet New People
- Non Fiction
- Literacy & Learning
- Working with Children
- Visitor Services
- Event & Activities